Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sunrise in the Land of the Rising Sun









I was among the first people in the world to welcome Saturday, August 18, 2007.

Yesterday, I spent 12 hours - from 10 p.m. on Friday to 10 a.m. on Saturday - on Mt. Fuji, the tallest mountain in Japan (the summit is 3776 meters above sea level). The Japanese have a saying about Mt. Fuji: "You're a fool if you don't climb it once, but you're a fool if you climb it more than once." I agree: it took us just under 7 hours to scale to the top!

Along the way, we experienced temperature extremes (I started the climb in shorts and a t-shirt and finished with lined pants and a sweatshirt), saw stars in a clouless sky (because we were above the clouds!), and enjoyed some of the most amazing udon soup I've ever tasted (at 3360 meters above sea level at 4 a.m.).

The trail was at times easy (it felt like an average hike through the woods) and at times treacherous (it required me to hold my flashlight in my mouth as used both hands to climb vertically on volcanic rock), but the view from the top made the long journey worthwhile. Pictures can't do justice to a sunrise above the clouds, but I've shared them here.

I carried a walking stick with me through the entire trek - mountain staffers stamped milestone brands into the stick at each rest station along the way, and a Buddhist priest blessed it with a "top of the mountain" brand when I reached the summit.

It took us another 5 hours to get back down the mountain, and it will take perhaps another 5 days to recover from the climb (my legs are soooore), but here's hoping the memories will last a lifetime!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, wow...my life seems so incredibly boring right now when I see what you've been up to!!! Although I'm sure your excitement about climbing Mt. Fuji was something akin to my excitement when I found the best cupcakes in the DC metro area this weekend...

Unknown said...

Absolutely amazing! What an incredible experience! I'm so jealous of you right now.

And I second Becky in that your adventures make my life seem insanely uneventful. The highlight of my weekend consisted of delicious Thai food at Fort Wayne's finest: Baan Thai, and then a visit to the movie theater, complete with butter drenched popcorn. Hooray!

Anonymous said...

I have a bellybutton

Anonymous said...

I am seeing Japan and living vicariously through you and your adventure. As we say in the the land of lakes and turkeys...Git er done, kemosabe!

P.s. Dan's belly-button was the result of the doctor's errant cut. I neglected to run the scissors and run the risk of scarring him for life...in retrospect, I could have probably done a better job. Sorry Dan....I mean...Sorry Susan

hfv said...

Como diriamos en buen chapin: que de a huevisimo!