Sunday, August 26, 2007

Conveyor Belt Sushi: Why I Love Japan





'Twas a weekend of festivals and camping trips (read on for details on these adventures). But perhaps the most profound of my cultural experiences over the last few days involved eating sushi off a conveyor belt.

It was deeeee-lish (or "oishii" here in Japan). Until you've tried conveyor belt sushi, you haven't lived. Starving when you walk in? Just plop down, pull some fish off the belt, and dig in. Not finding what you like on the belt? Simply pop your order into the table-top computer, and your wish is the kitchen's command. There's free tea, ginger and a little soy sauce dispenser at every table.

And the best part? Everything at this restaurant was 100 yen (about $1). That means I ate nine plates - yes, NINE plates - of delicious raw fish and spent less than 10 bucks.

Special thanks go to my dining companions, all veteran JETs, for humoring my in-restaurant photo safari. I appreciate their indulging my "newbie" status and not laughing too hard as my flash photography caused Japanese patrons at neighboring tables to stare at us. Their next 100-yen plate of sushi is on me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Youre blog is great Sara. Totally encapsulates the awkwardness and charm of fukui and made me laugh..

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).