Sunday, August 19, 2007

Domo Arigato, Mr. Nagata


Meet Mr. Nagata, leader of the Harue Community Center English conversation class and my new 75-year-old Japanese friend. Mr. Nagata took me under his wing earlier this week, giving me a guided tour of Harue (a small community next door to Maruoka), inviting me to his home to meet his wife, daughter, and grandchildren, and then treating me to lunch at a local Italian restaurant (great food - pasta with a Japanese touch!). Mr. Nagata is a tennis pro - he plays at least 4 times a week - and is quite possibly in better shape than I am. He also survived WWII and has some incredible stories to tell. I'll look forward to conversing with him in English in hopes that he'll reciproate with lessons on Japanese culture and perhaps life in general...

No comments: